Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Fashion Style

I've been feeling for awhile that I'm well behind the times fashion wise and I've written blogs about it before.  This revelation came after a casual wedding we attended a couple years ago.  I was determined to get with the times, so to speak, but I've come to realize I just might not be that far behind.  With my daughter's wedding approaching I needed to dress the part and found the perfect dress for me a couple months ago.  I knew what I wanted but the first attempt left me very frustrated.  Everything looked like a prom gown, not a mother-of-the-bride dress.  I didn't want sleeveless or tight-fitting so when I saw my dress during a shopping trip to Altoona, I grabbed it.  It was also on sale!!!  I shortened the sleeves, bought a necklace to help cover my scar, bought the shoes and purse and proceeded to buy the undergarments.  We had different names for them back then such as girdle and nylons but it's still the same basic idea.  I went to Macy's for the spanx (or the generic version) and the employee was very helpful and knew my concerns before I even said anything.  In fact, she was the one who suggested the hose and how I might be interested in the thigh highs they have out now.  I began wearing these nylons as a teen with a girdle or garter belt but now they have a rubberized top to hold them up.  So, there you have it  -  dressed for the wedding without sacrificing what I want.  There are others on TV with the same feelings about clothes as me, such as Carolyn on QVC.  One day she mentioned how plus size girls do not like sleeveless dresses.  Hey, I guess I'm not alone out there.  I love the maxi dresses which are a must-have according to Lisa Robertson but they almost all come sleeveless.  So I found one of those cute bolero sweaters to wear.  I'm very happy with my choices and know that I'll be comfortable in them and that's really all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment