Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

No Passing on the Right

How many times have you been driving on the interstate and due to someone in the left lane, saw another driver, or possibly yourself, passing in the right lane?  This is one of the first lessons I learned in my driver's ed training but it seems no one follows it anymore.  I, myself, have been in the situation where I'm passing a car and have every intention of getting over in the right lane as soon as I clear the passed car, when someone passes me in the right lane.  So far no accident but these people are surely in a big hurry.  Now, on the other hand, I have been passed, by truckers for the most part but not always, who misjudge the road and find that they cannot get ahead of me.  I know this seems unlikely, given my observance of the speed limit (yes, I am a rule-follower), but this leaves me in a quandary as to what to do.  Do I slow down and let him pass or just keep going the same speed and end up passing him on the right?  I have also, as another option here, been in a situation where a vehicle continues to stay in the left lane despite numerous chances to get over, leaving other cars no alternative but to pass on the right.  Why am I writing about this now?  When we were returning from the cabin on Sunday, we saw a truck with the following message on the respective back tire flaps  -  (left) passing, (right) suicide.  As I said before, I see more truckers causing problems like this than cars.  Of course, there's never a cop around when this happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment