Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Good Things

Taken from Martha herself, "That's a good thing!".  I have 3 good things I'd like to share with you today having to do with food that I either ate or saw on tv.
  1. The other day I was in the Akron area with my daughter and we stopped at the West End Bakery for lunch.  Their specialty was Curried Chicken Salad on a pita bread and ooh was it good.  I don't use curry all that much but now I have to rethink that.  It seemed the recipe would be similar to a basic chicken salad but with the addition of curry.  By the way, their cupcakes are delicious, too.
  2. My hubby and I went out to dinner the other night at the Edinboro Hotel to sample their steak night.  We've eaten there before but I guess I've never had the baked potato and boy was I in for a surprise.  This potato was a salt crusted baked potato, and as I found out through an internet search, widely used in steak houses.  It's a very simple idea that I'm definitely going to try.  All you do is prick your potato all over, coat it with olive oil, roll it in either sea salt or kosher salt to partially cover it, and then bake on foil-lined pan until done.  I think the salt adds to the flavor, improves the skin texture and makes the potato fluffier.  Anyway it was very good, in fact, probably the best baked potato I've ever had.
  3. This idea is right out of the Martha Stewart Show  -  how to separate a head of garlic and peel the cloves.  You won't believe this!  She used 2 metal bowls of different sizes, put the whole head of garlic in the bigger one and press the smaller bowl down into it very firmly.  That separates the head into all the cloves.  Then you flip the smaller bowl over so it rests on top of the bigger one (kind of like a lid) and shake like crazy.  When you open it all the cloves are peeled!  I was amazed, as was she when she showed it.
 Well, those are the three good things that I'm excited about.  Try them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment