Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Quilting Update

Thought it was time to give a quilting update for anyone interested.  This week is my BOM class  -  it was moved up 2 weeks because of other things going on in the quilt shop later.  I was not entirely happy with my blocks from last month and hope I'm not totally humiliated in class this week.  This month's block might be even harder.  Anyway, I was off the quilting bandwagon for awhile and working on other things but now I'm back.  I started a new quilt and I'm excited to share.  Years and years ago, when I took a class with a neighbor, I learned how to do the cathedral window block.  I just loved the jewel-like pointed windows on that off-white background and when I retired I vowed to do one of my own.  This is usually a hand stitched quilt done in small pieces and then sewn together to make a quilt but with no batting.  Recently some creative people have developed a machine stitched version and that's what I'm doing.  My magazines only showed 2 versions, one in flannel and the other a table runner but both multi, and I emphasize the word multi, color and print.  Way too much for me because you can't even see the cathedral window itself.  So I scaled it down to 4 colors and made them bigger to make a throw.  Changing the size gets me every time because I always forget the seam allowances, somewhere, but as long as I have enough for a 12 " circle I'm good.  Last night I made the front of the block to get the dimensions of each piece and it looks nice.  I'll keep you posted on the progress and my class.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment