Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Still Looking

For the last couple of days, my hubby and I have been looking through the 1940 Census pages for our grandparents and others we know.  It's been fascinating to say the least, remembering names and places.  For me though success is not coming easy.  I have yet to find any names in my family but I'm still looking.  I think a phone call to an elderly aunt might be what's needed to verify the address.  It took my hubby a couple of attempts to locate his even though they lived right across the street.  Looking through this stuff can be very time consuming and confusing.  They have divided towns into ed's and the trick is to get the right one. Another thing that is hard is finding a house where there is no house number as in my case.  I don't recall us ever having one since we all had post office boxes.  I'm sure now they do because of delivery services.  Another thing I found interesting was where some people lived when they were getting started and then how they moved on up, so to speak.  There was an area called Crescentdale where I grew up that was kind of like the worst place to live.  Now I realize that back then it must have been nice, affordable housing, kind of like the projects, where people saved some money and then bought a house.  It's strange to see how so many people fit into one house when now we seem to need so much room.  If you get a chance to look, go to census.gov and look up some houses yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment