Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Log Cabin Star

Photo: My latest creation from quilt classHere's the star I made in my quilt class at Lakefarmpark.  It was a very interesting class where I encountered many new techniques.  I also feel like I contributed something to the class by bringing a template that I had bought that made 5 pointed stars.  The instructor had never seen it before and was quite interested.  I learned 5 things while making this block in addition to my ideas in order to finish my project.  They are:
  1. As far as prepping for the actual block, I learned to turn off the steam in my iron while I'm pressing strips, seams or completed project.  I guess that's why I had so many wonky edges.  I also created a sample grid to preview my placement of fabrics.  I would never had put so much time into that before but I realize now what a help it is.
  2. The major technique in this quilt block is the log cabin on a diamond shape.  It puts a whole new twist on the old block and I love that secondary design with the center star. 
  3. The one thing I was never interested in doing was applique and avoided it at all cost.  Unfortunately when I got to class I realized that was how it was sewn on the background.  When I reached that point in the process I started hand sewing it on but got very bored with that.  So, for the first time I used one of my decorative machine stitches and appliqued my star on.  I couldn't have been happier with the results.  I doubt if you can see from the picture but, trust me, it looks great!
  4. In completing this project I wanted to make additional stars to surround the big one.  The instructor of the class had shown us how to make a smaller star using the same technique but with background fabric in the center and only one row of blue around the outside.  When it is also appliqued on the background, all you see is the outside star and the rest blends in.  Great tip. 
  5. The last thing I learned was how to use this new Jewelbox star template that I took to class.  The one I really like was the one that was fussy cut and when completed it looks like a kaleidoscope design.  Love it!
Well the project is not done yet but I have a fairly good start on it.  I'll show you when I can put all these new wall hangings up at the cabin.  Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment