Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

My Cabin Wall Hanging

Photo: Got my cabin wall hanging done. More to follow on my blog 

Here's my cabin wall hanging I just finished.  This is just the front of it but when I get several of my projects completed, I will quilt them all.  I really enjoyed putting this one together with all the different blocks with special meaning for the cabin.  I'll try and explain here the areas I wanted to cover and why I put them in my wall hanging.
  1. The first area was the cabin itself.  I made a paper pieced cabin, a flag that we hang over the railing of the front porch and a blue canning jar like the ones I have on the window sills.  I was pretty proud of myself for these blocks because I had no patterns for any of them.  I especially wanted the cabin to look like ours without going too far with it. 
  2. The second area was the animals at the cabin.  Some of these blocks are included in two areas.  The center block is called a Bear Paw block.  What I found interesting with this was it was made about 3 years ago when I first started quilting.  As I put it in with the others, I realized how far I've come skill-wise.  The other animal blocks are wolf, deer, Smokey the Bear, snake, hummingbird and frog.  Of course there are more but these were the obvious.
  3. The next area was nature or outside the cabin.  For this I used the sun (I know it looks more like a star),paper pieced fern, leaves,and snowballs.
  4. The fourth area was the four seasons which has already been mentioned in previous blocks.  My ideas for the seasons are spring  -  peepers , summer  -  hummingbird, fall  -  leaves, and winter  -  snowballs.  
Once again by not having a pattern for most of these blocks, completing the project was not easy.  I guess it wasn't as bad as it could have been though.  Next step  -  quilt it and hang it on the railing.

No comments:

Post a Comment