Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Monday, June 20, 2011

Bad Day for Cooking

Since it was Father's Day yesterday I decided to put a little more effort into cooking. I hadn't made cookies in quite a while so I thought that would be a nice treat for him. For supper we were going to have spaghetti, definitely a favorite, and with some leftover pizza dough and a ton of pepperoni, I decided to make pepperoni bread. It didn't seem all that out of the ordinary and all things I've made before. In the morning I went through a bunch of my recipes to organize them a little, get rid of some and make sure I had the ones I want to make when the grandkids come to visit. We were still staining the deck so when I came in for a late lunch I started on the cookies. I used the recipe on the package of chips which had half butter, half shortening. I've done that before with good results. The cookies took forever to bake, were still unbrowned and very flat. They tasted OK but not my usual success. It also could have been the brown sugar that was a little hard but I was still able to scoop it out and pack it into the measuring cup. Then I started to get the pepperoni bread ready - what a disaster. I knew the dough was soft for the pizza but that was how it was supposed to be. Unfortunately, it did not work for bread. I made it anyway but it spread out on the pan too much and was doughier inside than I wanted it. At that point I'm thinking this is a bad day for cooking and hopefully I can redeem myself with the spaghetti. I wasn't even making anything from scratch so what could go wrong. When I got the water ready for the pasta, I decided to use some sea salt we had bought at Sharp Shopper and I couldn't use it in the shaker because it was coarse. I always add salt liberally in my pasta water, just like all the food network stars do. They always say it's the only chance you get to salt your pasta. Well, when I tried the pasta, it was very salty. I was shocked that it would have absorbed so much of it. I made sure I told my husband to taste it first before he adds more. What a day of disasters in the kitchen! At least I pretty much knew what my mistakes were and the next time they should turn out better.

No comments:

Post a Comment