Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Monday, June 13, 2011

Patriotism Can Be Contagious

About a month ago when the weather started to get nicer, I noticed as we drove down the road to our cabin that one of the neighbors had put up a flag outside their front door. It waved so nice that day and gave me a good feeling as we passed. It was not a holiday that day which struck me odd because that's when we've always put our flag out. The next trip we made to the cabin I noticed the guy across the street had a flag waving on his garage. At that point I thought we should have one too. A couple weeks after that as we got to our cabin I noticed that the house across the street from us had a flag waving which told us they were back home. That was it - this past weekend we bought another flag and put it on the front porch, if nothing else but to let others know we were there. It got me thinking about how I felt seeing a flag and thought it just might be contagious. So that's what I did first thing this morning - put our flag outside. Tomorrow is Flag Day which is a holiday in PA and this I remember from summer school because we got the day off. Flags tell us many things about what's going on such as if the post office is open and if someone in public office has died. Being a Girl Scout leader, I volunteered my troop to do flag ceremonies more times than I can remember and I thought it was a good lesson for the girls to learn. We learned respect for the flag, the correct procedures to follow, team work and of course, it also fulfilled a requirement for numerous badges. So, my challenge to all of you reading is to test my theory and fly your flag - every day you're home this summer and see who else follows along.

No comments:

Post a Comment