Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Friday, May 25, 2012

We're Smokin'

My hubby finally got his new electric smoker up and running the other day.  He's a guy who really researches a new purchase and wants to be fully prepared.  I was going to get a whole chicken out the night before and have it ready for the smoker but I forgot.  So the day we decided to cook I took out a couple packs of pork chops we thought would be a small project to smoke.  When all was said and done we decided to go "whole hog" so to speak and fill the smoker with similar sized pieces.  We had 6 pork chops, 4 lengths of cajun sausage, 4 split chicken breasts and 4 chicken thighs.  They cooked up really well in an afternoon and taste delicious.  I think our favorites are the sausage and chicken which stayed moist with a nice smokey flavor.  I just put salt and pepper on the chops and I was disappointed in their taste which was kind of bland.  They weren't as dry as I had expected though.  I was amazed at the chicken breasts and how moist they were.  I used some in a salad last night and the smoke flavor was definitely apparent.  So all in all I'd say our first attempt was a success.  Now we're looking forward to smoking bigger and better things.

No comments:

Post a Comment