Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

GPS or No

Last time I wrote about our close call on the road when it was foggy.  Another incident that got me thinking that happened that night was the encounter with an elderly lady at Over the Mountain.  She walked in and came to our table to ask directions.  Evidently, she missed her exit on 80.  She didn't know the exit number just that it was the one with Dutch Pantry which is 120 and the second Clearfield exit.  It was no surprise that she couldn't see anything in that fog.  My hubby proceeded to give her a couple of options as far as getting to where she was going.  She was frazzled to say the least and we would have had her follow us back out had she stayed long enough.  At one point I asked her if she had a GPS, to which she replied, "No".  I thought about that after and came up with my list of reasons in favor of a GPS.
  1. I think the best reason for one is in the case of fog or limited visibility.  An added concern is when you don't know the area to even estimate where your turn is.  At least with a GPS you have someone telling you when and where to turn. 
  2. I like having company when I'm driving by myself.  My girl is called Mandy and though at times she can be annoying, I know she's there with me. 
  3. Humans are definitely flawed.  With that said, I use the GPS in conjunction with directions given to me by someone else, just in case.  It has helped!
  4. I also like the fact that Mandy will tell me in advance which lane to get in, before I'm confronted with a lane shift.
So, there you have it.  I will continue to keep it handy, just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment