Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Poinsettia Success

I think I finally cracked the code on keeping poinsettias alive over the holiday season, but not because I tried.  I've gotten at least one plant sometime in Dec. almost every year, put it on the tv stand and tried desperately to keep it alive at least through to New Years.  This year, I guess my heart wasn't in it or because I got a really good deal on the plant at ValuKing.  It sat there drying out for days and I would remember about watering it while we were gone.  So I finally got around to watering it about once a week after it had dried out completely.  I put it in the kitchen sink and poured water inside until the foil around it bulged.  It sat there for a few hours letting the water absorb back into the dirt and then when I felt it was safe to put back on the stand, back it went for another week or so.  When I finally put 2 and 2 together and realized what I had done, I was amazed.  There's no a leaf dried up, fallen or curled.  It looks better than the day I got it and I didn't even try.  I even thought I saw a couple new shoots coming from the bottom.  Now comes the attempt at keeping it alive and well until Valentine's Day  -  whatta ya think!

No comments:

Post a Comment