Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Monday, February 11, 2013

Still Ironing

I guess the people from Monopoly who determine the piece that gets thrown out don't iron anymore.  They must not be quilters either because we know it is crucial.  For us it is part of that trinity  -  cutting table, sewing machine and ironing board.  Of course you can cheat to a certain degree by finger-pressing or using some small devices such as a wooden stick, but in the end you gotta iron.  I have even started setting my seams before I press them in a certain direction, as experts advise.  There are some people that insist on starching small pieces before they are sewn.  But it's not just quilters who would argue getting rid of the monopoly piece.  All three of my kids are still ironers.  It's not like I really pushed it on them as they were growing up, in fact I never had that Tuesday ironing day, but I did have the ironing board set up or handy for that occasional pressing.  Most things that would require ironing are hung up right out of the dryer and don't need it.  But I have some button-down shirts that always need the front bands ironed no matter how careful I am.  Anyway, it is a skill that is good to know even if not used daily and I will be looking for that metal iron as a collectors item.

No comments:

Post a Comment