Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Friday, February 25, 2011

Denim Blues Rag Quilt

I think I'll name my quilts that I make since that seems to be the thing to do. I'm basically done with my Denim Blues Rag Quilt except for washing and drying it which is pretty big but I'll talk about that later. This is a quilt in the making for years and years with saving jeans that we've all worn out over the years. As soon as they were ready to be thrown out, for whatever reason, I started cutting my squares. I used other parts of them too such as the back pockets for purses (Allison , her friends and Girl Scouts got those) and even the inseams that I used to make braided barrettes. None of them went to waste however I wish now that I had saved some of those back pockets for a quilt. Anyway, I also saved old flannel sheets to be used in the quilt too. This project only took about a week since mostly everything was already cut. I went through my stash of material looking for more that would fray easily, which is crucial to the quilt. The only thing I had to buy was a little more flannel because once I started laying out the squares, I realized that some of the thinner pieces would be too flimsy without more. What you do for this quilt is lay the squares wrong sides together and you sew the seams so they'll be on the outside. One side is a typical 9-patch with flannel, denim and a contrasting square in the center (also where the seams are showing) and then the other is just a design I made with alot of different patterns. I sewed each horizontal row, then all together and finished it off with a row of stitching all around the outside. The next step is clipping all those seams to facilitate fraying (hence those special scissors I bought) and then washing and drying so it will fray. The seams should then be like a tight fringe along all the seams on one side. It's a very country sort of quilt and I thought it was the next logical step for me. There's no actual quilting but it does involve piecing and I needed the extra practice. You really can't mess up this quilt unless you don't put wrong sides together. I think it'll look and feel great in the loft at the cabin.

No comments:

Post a Comment