Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Friday, February 18, 2011

Scrap Afghan

Here's an update on my crocheting projects that were started right after New Year's. I finished my scrap afghan! I had a hard time deciding on the pattern for this and even started it and then almost scrapped it. I never liked traditional Granny afghans and when I found the Granny's Daughter afghan I knew that was the one. It involved making over 800 tiny granny squares (the first row) and then crocheting them together in a vertical pattern with off-white yarn. Of course, I started that in the late 1990's and didn't finish it until 2005 when I was home recovering from my broken knee. I didn't have a specific place for that so when it was done my daughter snatched it up. The only other scrap afghan I made took almost as long to complete and that was my knitted stained glass window afghan. It was done with the black in horizontal rows and I often refer to it as my memory afghan. So this one that I made is more like the stained glass one in that I use the black to border all my squares. It's a vertical pattern but it has granny squares done in singles and doubles. There's definitely nothing subdued in this afghan but I like it. Unfortunately, I still have some scrap yarn leftover and maybe a pillow will come out of it, I'm not sure. I do have a second knitted scrap afghan that is in the works with yarn that is not as conducive to crocheting. There's something I really love about the knitted afghans - it might be that they are lighter in weight. Anyway, progress is being made and my hands are always busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment