Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Friday, March 4, 2011

Leftovers

I recent article in the paper got me thinking about leftovers and specifically how I've handled that over the years. When the kids were young I was always worried there would not be enough food so I did the food for the masses thing and if I didn't feel like cooking one night, then we raided the fridge for dinner. When we got Peaches and then Pumpkin, once again I was not worried about making too much because we could always give it to the dogs. We changed things a little with Pumpkin when we found out she had some sort of allergy and usually gave her regular dog food. As the kids started leaving, I found myself watching the amount of food I prepared. Some things lend itself better to reheating, thanks to the microwave, and others just sit in there until it's time to clean out the fridge. Now that there's just the husband and I, I really enjoy the toaster oven so serving size is already determined for me. One thing I always make more of is my chicken tenders. I know I can use them in salads and they're just as good the second time around. I still repurpose some foods such as sloppy joes. I usually have a tube of biscuits in the fridge so I make little pockets with the meat inside. I'm not sure why but that tastes so good. Unfortunately, none of this holds true for the cabin. I tend to put stuff in the freezer thinking it'll be a good, easy dinner for the next visit but we usually go out to eat. We are well stocked up with tv dinners that are available for anyone else that's down there - just so you know. I did pick up something that worked well for us the last time we were down. At Sharp Shopper we bought these frozen, fully-cooked hamburg patties that are microwaveable. Just a minute on each side and they're ready to eat and they were only $1.99 for 6 patties. So anymore when I shop I'm always trying to think serving size so we aren't saddled with all those leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment