Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Monday, March 28, 2011

New Journey

It's been awhile I know and here's the explanation as quickly as I can. Three years ago during and EKG for a gall bladder procedure, I found out that I needed a new aortic valve. I've had yearly visits with the cardiologist since then and this Jan., he decided it was time. Of course nothing goes as planned and the same held through for this. On Mar. 14, I went to Cleveland Clinic for a series of pre-op tests and they asked me to stay and have the surgery, that was scheduled for the end of the week, the next day. I was a little relieved to be getting it over with even though I still had things planned to do. The surgery and ICU stay were not without their complications but all in all I guess I came out pretty well. In addition to a new mechanical valve, I now have a pacemaker built into my shoulder. So this new journey of mine is really just beginning with building my strength up, managing my coumadin use and resuming my life. I am in a much better place now than I thought I would be - moving around on my own, feeling no pain, eating whatever I want (and all that goes along with it) and working on easy projects that I've saved for this time. The one thing that has got me stumped and has me stymied until I overcome it is not being able to sleep. I might doze off a little here and there but absolutely no real sleep. It is not good for physical and emotional stamina in the least which has me concerned. But I will continue this quest and report my progress.

1 comment:

  1. Still praying for a quick recovery. So glad we got to see you.

    ReplyDelete