Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Bugs

I thought since I was able to do my gardening yesterday and spend time outside that it was probably time to talk about bugs and especially a story about Audrey. One evening while I was reading her a bedtime story, a bug crawled from behind the board book and sat on top of it, just staring down at us. It was almost as if it wanted to listen to the story, too. When I saw it my first thought was how she would react to it . I'm pretty calm about bugs, not at all like some of my co-workers who screamed when they were around spiders. I've tried to see the value and purpose in most bugs but I do draw the line at ants in my kitchen. I don't mind if they have their space outside but my kitchen is off limits. Anyway, getting back to my story, Audrey and I just sat there very quiet and watched the bug for a few seconds. She was perfectly calm and very soft-spoken so as not to scare the bug and she said "Don't squash it!" So we carefully got off the chair and holding the book as still as I could, made our way downstairs to flick it outside. Life was preserved - at least this time. Hopefully she'll be older when she needs to deal with where her meat for dinner comes. I thought about her while doing my yard work when I saw a woolybear. I had forgotten how to tell from them what kind of a winter it's supposed to be but I didn't squash it, just swept it away, gently. I know I'll have to answer to Audrey.

No comments:

Post a Comment