Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Monday, October 18, 2010

Wooden Doll Necklaces

This was an excellent craft weekend for me. For years I've been saving craft projects that I've torn out of magazines in hopes of someday having the time to make them. Long before I had a granddaughter, I tore out instructions to make a little girl's necklace out of wooden beads. It proves to be much easier than I thought and except for the doll's head, I had everything I needed. It gave me a chance to use some creativity in incorporating what I had available in the necklace. I made four of them and I think they really came out nice. Once again, my only concern is that they stay together! Despite using a bunch of wooden beads, I still have alot left. As I dig through more of those papers, I'm sure I'll find more projects to use some beads with, such as ornament holders and spiral Christmas trees. Here are 3 things I learned by making these necklaces:


  1. Always check that the small bead I'm using to separate beads is larger than the hole in the larger bead. If it isn't, it slips right through and can't be seen.
  2. Practice bead placement first to get a nice arrangement and use your beads efficiently.
  3. Always count how many beads you will need to finish the necklace. This helps with #2 also in that you'll see which ones you have enough of for the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment