Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Old Cookbooks

Boy, it doesn't take me long to come up with a blog idea when I start looking through cookbooks. I have a recipe for Chicken Pot Pie Soup and I saw another recipe for rivels (kind of like mini-dumplings) that I thought would go good with it. I looked online and found it was a German/Amish recipe so I got out my Amish cookbook. There, right inside the front cover was the name A. Markievich which was in my son's handwriting. I wondered for a minute why he would have written in my cookbook, especially back then, when he thought more about eating than cooking. Then I remembered - when he was in middle school and taking a class on PA history, I made a bunch of funnel cakes and took into his class. I recall that I had everything planned according to what time I was supposed to bring them in on one of my days off from preschool, when I got the phone call that they were ready sooner. I scrambled, finished them up, put my daughter in the car and delivered them to his class. He must have taken the cookbook into his class, therefore the name inside. I used the recipe again when I was a grad assistant when we also studied PA and it was a big success. Unfortunately, those were in my deep frying days which are long gone. Now if I get a funnel cake it's at a fair and few and far between. It does make for some delicious memories though.

No comments:

Post a Comment