Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Coming Full Circle

My latest craft project is a hemp necklace with beads and it brings back memories of my macrame days. Macrame- a fancy name for knots- has been around a long, long time and most of us, at least girls anyway, have done it at some point. In Girl Scouts we made our friendship bracelets, the 70's were full of knotted wall hangings of which I had numerous instruction books (since sold or gone to Goodwill), and then there were the hanging planters made with jute. I am reminded of the shelves my sister-in-law made and showed me how to do. I made my own version of them where I included beads and a hanging planter on the bottom. I must have involved my mother in it, too, because I was working on them while I was visiting one time. I couldn't remember how to do the big knot at the top right below the loop when my dad stepped in and showed us how to do it. I was amazed! It was something he learned in the Navy. Here, I thought we were into a unique and inventive craft and my dad knew more about it than me. Those shelves hung in my living room a long time and it nearly killed me to finally take them down and get rid of them, but I did. My kids might remember them but I know I have pictures. Now with this necklace, it's nice to take an old time craft and bring it up to date - I guess, coming full circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment