Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Monday, November 8, 2010

Conversation at McDonald's

Over the weekend I witnessed a disturbing conversation between two young people (boy and girl) in the booth beside us at McDonald's. The couple, or I should say the boy was saying he was upset because he couldn't spend time with his friends and she was evidently upset about something from the day before and therefore giving him the silent treatment. I kept hearing him say the same thing over and over that he was not allowed to do what he wanted, even though he let her do things with her friends. I just wanted to go over and slap him across the side of the head but maybe not for the reasons you might think. I would have tried telling them both 3 things:
  1. You have to communicate with each other because none of us can read minds. It only makes for more confusion when you try and guess what's on someone else's mind. Men and women think differently so it's best if you take something at face value and not read more into it.
  2. No one can make you do or not do anything you don't want to. If we do something it's because we decide to do it for whatever reasons. We need to be accountable for our actions and not blame others.
  3. We are ultimately responsible for our own happiness. We can't depend on anyone else to find it for us. Having a little time to ourselves let's us explore our options.

Of course, I was chicken to approach either of them mainly because I didn't know what their reaction would be. I guess they'll just have to figure it out for themselves especially if they aren't reading my blog. Maybe I should have left my card!

No comments:

Post a Comment