Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Monday, November 28, 2011

Flour or Corn Tortillas

Flour or corn  -  that is the question, at least, on the Top Chef show from last week, where someone failed to specify which one she wanted and she got the wrong one.  I didn't realize there was such a controversy over which tortilla to make enchiladas with.  I've made them and probably used flour since I stopped using corn for tacos.  We didn't like how crunchy they got and broke up before we could eat them.  So since then I always buy the flour, until this weekend.  I wanted to make a new dish with my turkey leftovers called Turkey Taquitos.  It called for corn tortillas so I bought white corn tortillas.  I thought they might be different so I felt it was worth a try.  Well, I found them to be very difficult to roll up, they cracked very easily and they seemed to absorb way too much oil when I cooked them.  They were definitely crunchy but not like those old ones I used for tacos.  Then I had an idea to use them in my quesadilla maker with the same ingredients.  Big mistake!  It's been awhile since I used it and forgot that it said not to use corn tortillas.  I still have a little filling so I might make a regular quesadilla with my flour tortillas.  I guess I'm not up on all the Mexican food formalities and what I use where.  I do know what I like and I guess it's back to the drawing board for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment