Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Kosher salt

For the past few days, it seems like all I've been hearing or reading about is kosher salt. The September issue of Woman's Day magazine has stated they will only be using kosher salt in all future WD recipes. Kosher salt contains half the sodium as table salt - a fact I didn't know. Everyone is eyeing the sodium content in foods these days, especially because of it's link to hypertension, but am I prepared to cut it out of my diet completely - NO. I believe the link concerns the fluid retention and if that can be handled in other ways then there is no need to eliminate salt. Even all the Food Network stars use salt because it improves the taste of food. My daughter made a delicious tomato salad with kosher salt, oil and basil - quick, easy and tasty! I made salt potatoes with small Yukon Gold potatoes and a bunch of kosher salt - also tasty. The salt is much coarser than table salt but I can work around that. I guess I can have my cake and eat it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment