Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Friday, August 20, 2010

Spell Check

I've always had a thing about spelling and also a pet peeve about misspelled words, especially at the school where I worked. I don't profess to be a great speller but, before spell check on the computer, I would always look up words in the dictionary if I wasn't sure about their spelling. It amazed me that college students could put misspelled words on bulletin boards for all to see, even parents. Evidently no one was proof reading. It came to mind again yesterday as I was waiting for my car to be fixed and leafing through a magazine. Included in the top 100 things we should know was the difference among there, they're and their, or homophones as they're called. These are words that sound the same but have different meanings. Spell check is useless with homophones because it only picks up on misspelled words and these may be spelled correctly but used incorrectly. There lies the problem! As much as we love our computers, they are not the end all. We still need people to teach us and proof read. Anyway, I think I have those homophones down pat but there were a bunch of other things on that list that I didn't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment