Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Thursday, January 20, 2011

More About Spain

I've been thinking more about Spain lately and wanting to share some of my thoughts. Yesterday I was out with my friend (born in the Azores) and as we were walking on the icy parking lots we interlocked arm to help hold each other up. I'm not sure who was holding who up because if one went down the other was soon to follow. It reminded me of Spain and how all the adult women there would walk arm in arm wherever they were going. Even some of the younger girls could be caught doing the same thing - it was kind of nice. We (the other girls in our class) noticed that of the adult women we saw there, the widows all were black, for a long time if not forever, and the rest of the women just liked the color. Once the men reached a certain age they all wore those berets. Just about everyone smoked and probably not a nice filtered menthol but the hard-core stuff. Of course, wine was the drink of choice and everyone drank it, even the kids. I'm sure it's changed since I was there and hopefully for the better in alot of ways. I remember Grandma talking about her time in the army much the same way I am and I understand how she felt about it. It was the last bit of time completely to ourselves, with our girlfriends, in a different country doing something unique for us and for many other girls at that time. She often said it was the best time of her life and I know what she meant.

No comments:

Post a Comment