Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Trauma-induced Savant

I was intrigued by the story a while back about the guy who suffered a head injury and became a savant. I guess after the injury he could play musical instruments. I've often thought about that sort of thing happening - I guess it's taking the easy way. I'm sure things could have gone the other way for him and he might not even be able to use his hands . You have to wonder if it's permanent or just a temporary thing, if there was something else now that he can't do, if there was also a behavior modification and how his life has changed in other ways. It would be fascinating if he wrote a book about this experience. I know it's crazy, so bear with me, but I wish I could sing and for just a second, I almost think I would suffer a minor, maybe concussion level, head injury if it would help me hit a note. Don't worry, I'm not thinking of doing anything stupid, it's just a rambling thought. I'm not interested in changing places with anyone else and long ago I heard someone talk about jealousy. She said whenever she starts having feelings like that she asks herself 1 question - Would you give up everything and everyone in your life to change places with that person? I've tried it over the years if I feel like someone else is getting all the breaks and there has never been a time where I've said yes to the question. It cured me of feeling jealous of anyone. So, with that said, I'll still sing in the car, despite my daughters criticisms, and even though it'll sound awful, I'll still enjoy every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment