Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Friday, September 24, 2010

First Piece of Jewelry

I guess this isn't really my first piece of jewelry if I go back to my girl scout days. We did a whole badge on jewelry and made some very unique pieces including potato necklaces and fishing swivel bracelets. Those were the days! I think that's what intrigues me the most - using materials that are totally out of the box. Considering that previous experience, I still felt overwhelmed in my first attempt at "real" jewelry. I had been looking through magazines getting ideas and I kind of knew what I wanted but where to start - I didn't have a clue. I found myself wishing my daughter were here to guide me through it. I needed a beginners book to go through terminology and basic techniques. Most of the magazines show beautiful pieces but their instructions assume you know the bascis, which I don't. What the heck, I'm a quick learner, right? I looked at all the beads and my head was spinning. So I went shopping, bought some beginner's supplies, found some gorgeous glass beads I just had to have and used some gift cards. Of course, when I got home I still didn't know what I was doing but I vowed to do it anyway. Well, I'm on my way to making a seed bead necklace in blue metallic and learning as I go. Let's just say this is a work in progress. I really do like my idea and I hope when I'm done it doesn't all come apart and scatter in a million pieces on the floor!

No comments:

Post a Comment