Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Monday, September 27, 2010

Fresh Basil

The last couple days I've been trying to use some fresh basil I bought at Erie Co. Farms the other week. That and the fresh dill (for those green tomato pickles) were cheap - 99 cents each for a big bunch. I made a pizza Fri. night and cut up some basil and that tasted good! Needless to say, I still have tomatoes and after I used some up yesterday making chili, I thought I'd do some sauce with the leftover paste tomatoes. I cooked it down and plan on adding garlic and basil (my sister's recipe she brought back from Italy) and have spaghetti tonight. I didn't add the basil right away because I was worried most of the flavor would go up in steam. If it turns out well, I might end up making more sauce to freeze. This was pretty easy, without the hassle of peeling those tomatoes. I just washed , cut and pureed them in the food processor. I still am not too impressed with this version of paste tomatoes but I'm not in a position to be too picky. I guess I just need something to do with them as long as they keep ripening. That's been one of the problems with paste tomatoes - they are slow to ripen and they drag the season out way too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment