Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Friday, September 17, 2010

Weather

Last night's weather was memorable, more so for others but it still had me remembering that day in May 1985 when the tornadoes shot through this area. I was watching TV when the alert came across that a tornado warning had been issued for our area and the town of Albion was mentioned. That's all it took to take me back to that day. Yesterday had been rainy all day and no where near as warm as that day in 1985 so it kind of surprised me. I'm used to associating that kind of weather with a tornado. They also said on TV that no actual tornado had been spotted which shows the improvement in weather radar over the years. It used to be that a warning meant one had been spotted and get down in the basement as opposed to a watch which meant conditions were favorable. Now they are able to tell when a tornado has formed well up in the sky which is alot more advance warning than we used to have. Even though I've watched people outrun a tornado I'm probably not quick enough for that. So after hearing the warning, I tuned into a couple other channels to see exactly where it was headed and found that we were more than likely OK. Now that day in 1985, we had no idea what was going on. I've often commented that my youngest daughter was a bun in the oven that day and the other two gathered up their most valuable possessions (a backpack of Transformers and one with My Little Ponies) and we headed to the basement. I also had mine - I was huddled with them downstairs until the storm blew over.

No comments:

Post a Comment