Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Wampum carnival

Last week we went down to see the Waterford Fair, a yearly event that I've entered in the past and we've taken the kids to over the years. It's a small fair to say the least but nice and cheap and it got us out of the house on Labor Day. As we were there, I noticed a young girl I thought I recognized as a friend's daughter, and sure enough, when I saw the name plastered on the back, it was her. It brought to mind the Wampum carnival I used to go to every year when I was young. It was within walking distance to my house and I would go every night it was there. I usually invited a friend, or more likely a cousin, to stay overnight all week to enjoy the festivities with. I remember my dad buying tickets for my brother and I at work which amounted to $5, I think, for each and that lasted us all week. They had the usual rides, games, food, etc. but I especially enjoyed the fries with vinegar on them, yum! And of course, one of us had to stop at the Chewton pizza stand and bring back some for everyone. I loved the fireworks on Saturday night and the grand finale that by today's standards are tame but for me they were great. Then, as the ultimate culmination of the event, Sunday was the day for anyone with a metal detector to canvas the ball field where everything had taken place. I After I left they had a Wampum Homecoming for awhile but I'm not sure if they have anything now. It was a good place and time to grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment