Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Going Home

I spent yesterday going back to my hometown to visit an aunt, brother and sister-in-law and doing some stuff on that "No more excuses" list. I've always wanted to plant daffodils at my mom's grave since she really liked them and had a bunch planted at her house. Unfortunately, I never made it down to visit at this time of year (I was probably canning tomatoes). I bought them (bulbs) at Aldi's last week and planted half at the DuBois graves and the rest at my parent's. It felt good to do this and it'll be kind of like a birthday present to her when they come up in the spring. Anyway, driving through town I saw a few changes that were positive - a couple new stores/restaurants and even a couple umbrella tables at the grocery store. I drove past the Paramount Cafe where my dad used to spend every Sat. until he broke a glass on the pool table and never went back. That was probably the best thing that could have happened. He started going up to the Chewton club for a few hours in the afternoon for a little social time and giving my mom some much needed alone time. One thing that was hard to miss was all the cars at the funeral home but no one knew who was there. That's unusual for a small town. I took some different routes between towns this time due to the bridge (over railroad tracks) in West Pittsburg being closed for repairs. I never knew the name of it was Crazy Horse Bridge. I wonder how far they had to dig to find that out! I finished my stay with a visit to Jimmy's for two pints of hot dog sauce and a trip to Goodwill where I found a tall blue jar, my corduroy shirt and some jewelry findings. After a quick stop for a free coffee, I was back on the road headed home (this home). It was a good road trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment