Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I Need Classes

Yes, I need classes, quilting that is. I'm trying so hard to find what works best for me with these quilts. I read the books, watch the TV shows, catch the Internet videos, buy the right tools and then try it out firsthand. So why is this so difficult? Each time something goes wrong, I understand why and set out to fix it, but there's always something different. Right now with this second quilt, it still seems so hard to maneuver all the excess around the sides. I'm contemplating tearing out a section because I'm just not happy with it, and I know from experience that would be my best option. It should be getting easier instead of harder. At this point I cannot see myself making a full size quilt and machine quilting it. I can do the top but the quilting is throwing me for a loop. The one thing I haven't tried yet is a wall hanging size (more manageable) or the lap quilting technique. The lap quilting is doing individual squares, machine quilting each square, sewing the fronts by machine and then the backs by hand. I definitely don't want to hand quilt anything for several reasons including I'm not good at it, it's too time consuming and finally, it doesn't last as long. But I kind of enjoy hand stitching. I find it relaxing, easy and I think I do a pretty good job of it so maybe that's my niche. Unfortunately, not all quilts utilize that technique to the fullest. I have to admit my hubby listened very well to my complaints yesterday and even offered some advice - take some classes! Isn't that what I was trying to do all summer but previous commitments and the store closing got in my way. I know that when I'm done with this quilt, I will lay it out and admire it and think of what a good job I did, but am I having fun during the process? That's what I'm striving for in the end and I'll know when I get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment