Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Monday, September 19, 2011

Back on the Canning Train

I've been supplied with more canning jars so I'm back on the train, despite not wanting to be.  Yesterday it was another day of salsa and preparations for pickled jalapenos and canned pears.  I have to admit the weather has been beautiful for canning.  There was a slight chance of a frost at the cabin but here, we're in for another great week.  So the last batch of salsa was a hot one but not the hubby's usual hot.  This time I made it by my recipe with sweet peppers and just an extra dose of hots.  My pears will also be a different recipe, one I found somewhere using white grape juice.  Normally I would make a thin syrup and can them with that but, for the past couple of years it's been difficult finding sugar at a reasonable price.  I realize that everything is going up but really!  The cheapest we found was Aldi's for $2.39 a 5# bag and we got 3.  Mind you I go through a lot of this when I make my candy, which I will be starting soon.  So I found the juice at Sharp Shopper for a little over a dollar for a good size bottle.  Anyway, that's the plan for this week.  One other thing that I found kind of humorous this week.  You can always tell who has extra produce to get rid of when you offer them some pears and they respond with "Do you want some apples?"  That's what I got from a friend I talked to yesterday.  It seems she is in the same place we are with the pears.  We've picked our Honeycrisp apples but that's it so far, and they are absolutely delicious!  There aren't many and because of the water going in last year, we don't have our second tree producing this year.  I have a feeling it will be an exceptionally good year for cider!!

No comments:

Post a Comment