Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

One Winner - One Redo

I made the canned pears with the white grape juice yesterday and it was awesome.  It's a lot of work peeling those pears, then coring and taking out any bad spots but it was worth it.  That juice smelled like grapes right off the vine.  I only got 6 pints but they look beautiful and taste great.  We're slowly taking care of those Bartlett pears which in my opinion are the hardest because when they start to ripen, you gotta move fast.  The other pears have a much longer standing time where they don't get too ripe too fast.  That canning was the winner, my redo wasn't something that turned out bad but rather not what I expected.  I made a batch of hot salsa or what was supposed to be hot based on the peppers I used, and it ended up being mild.  I had been asking my hubby to try it and make sure it was what he wanted and he finally did that yesterday.  Mind you not much is hot enough for this guy so when he said it wasn't hot I simply disregarded it.  Then it bothered me so much I thought I better bite the bullet and get a taste myself.  I tasted, then waited and waited for the heat to arrive and it didn't.  By golly he was right!  I used what he thought were the hottest peppers he had out there  -  hot Portugals  - but the jalapenos I used in my medium salsa were hotter.  I had to change the label to mild and I'm making a hot batch with the jalapenos today.  Even he was amazed that they weren't hotter.  So today will be that batch of hot salsa and whatever peppers are left I'll do the hot pepper rings.  That'll pretty much take care of the tomatoes for now and with some nice weather, maybe I'll have more ripe ones to do another batch of juice.  Wish me happy canning!

No comments:

Post a Comment