Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Monday, September 19, 2011

Time Saving Technology

I thought I better get this down now while I'm thinking about it.  I got my Whole Living magazine in the mail today and as I was leafing through it while we went out shopping, I found something quite interesting.  It was a survey asking which technology you thought was the most time saving.  The gps got 12%. online calendar got 9%, dishwasher/washing machine got 9% and smartphones got 70%.  Come on, people!!!  Maybe we've had dishwashers and washing machines so long now we've forgotten what it would be like without them.  I realize phones can be helpful but I'd rather find stuff the old-fashioned way than go back to washing dishes and doing laundry by hand any day.  I might be one of the few people who actually remembers using a wringer washer to do my clothes.  Before my mom got her new Maytag, we did our clothes in one and then hung them on the line to dry.   As I recall in the past when I bought a new washer, they even had models where you put your own water in (not automatically).  When we moved into our house we had a washer and dryer but the washer broke down soon after as it was a used one.  I borrowed my mother-in-law's wringer to do our clothes.  I had to fill the tub with water, let it agitate for awhile, put each piece of laundry through the wringer, drain the tub, fill with rinse water, let the clothes agitate for awhile to rinse, then put them through the wringer again.  As you can imagine it took a good part of the day to get a load of clothes done.  Do we really think that dishwashers and washing machines don't save us time?  Try it for a day and then let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment