Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Fall Gardens and Produce

I've already informed my hubby that things will change next year with our garden as I don't want to can anymore.  I can safely say that now that I've put up 3 batches of crabapple jelly, 7 qts. of tomato juice, 7 qts. of tomato soup and 8 pts. of salsa,but what happens next summer.  It's not that I don't like canning, it's that we aren't using what I put up, therefore a shortage of jars.  Right now I'm faced with pears out the wazoo, and hating to let them go to waste, struggling with who to give them to but wanting some for myself, too.  I have been trying to cook more with the fresh produce such as a triple batch of chili, tomato basil soup and spaghetti sauce with basil.  I'm sure a big batch of Unstuffed Pepper Soup will be in the works soon and will use some.  It wasn't long ago that I made that batch of Stuffed Peppers which were oh so good.  I think what is so different with  the garden issue is that my time is dependent on when everything ripens.  I'm excited to work on stuff at first, then comes the deluge and a time frame is issued and that upsets me.  If I could do it at my leisure it would be fine.  These pears are tricky as they are hard now on the trees but as soon as 1 drops, they are ready to be picked.  They will ripen on their own but it's not good to let them do that on the tree.  So I've decided to can a few qts. of pears but use the white grape juice method this time.  It won't be long before all those apples are ripe, too.  I remember last year without any and how at first I was lost and longing for them but we were so busy last fall, I don't know how we would have managed with them all.  This year I'd like to do the cider, which may be our last time to make it (probably not).  Some of you are asking  "Why doesn't she donate them (tomatoes, pears, etc) and help others".  It's not that I don't want to but home-grown items are far from perfect and I hesitate to give others, that I don't know, stuff like that.  We work around the imperfections and are aware that it's best to cut into the fruit instead of taking a big bite.  Don't get me wrong though. My hubby takes very good care of our trees and garden and I still think we have some of the best home-grown stuff around.

No comments:

Post a Comment